I’m starting to realized if you pay close attention to my blog, you would think all we eat are tacos and muffins. Oh well, tacos and muffins are delicious. We make fish tacos, steak tacos, and occasionally, regular old ground beef tacos. Actually we usually use ground turkey in an attempt to be at least moderately healthy, but either way, you need to season your ground meat. We used to just buy the packets of taco seasoning and end up with the usual orange colored meat, but then I discovered how easy it is to make your own taco seasoning mix, with spices I already had in my spice rack anyway. This way you can tweak the flavors to your own liking, it has way less sodium, and no chemicals you can’t pronounce. You can make up a big batch and store it if you’d like, but I just mix it up when while the meat browns each time we make tacos, it only takes a minute.
So here are the ingredients: Chili powder, onion powder, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, oregano, sugar, salt, and corn starch. You really just mix it up and use it just like you would the store bought packet. Brown and drain the meat, add your seasoning mix with a bit of water, stir it over medium heat until the meat is evenly coated and the water has cooked off.. At this point, I always taste and adjust the seasoning to taste. Sometimes I think it needs more salt, sometimes I add a bit of chili powder or cumin. Apparently it depends on how I feel that day. Then serve it up on some tortillas with your favorite taco toppings. Or serve it over tortilla chips and make some delicious nachos.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon corn starch (or flour, used as a thickener)
- Mix ingredients in small bowl.
- Brown 1 pound ground beef or turkey, drain and return meat to the pan. Sprinkle spice mix over meat, add 1/2 cup of water. Heat over medium heat, stirring until meat is evenly coated and mixture has thickened and the extra water has cooked off, 2-5 minutes.
- Serve with tortillas and favorite taco toppings
- Makes enough mix to season 1 pound of ground meat.